Truth be told, I’ve been on a bit of a beauty box binge. I have an annual subscription to Ipsy, but lately I’ve had an itch to try other ones. TBTH, I feel like Ipsy’s a little flippant with its offerings – sometimes the products are higher-end and give you more bang for your buck, other times the samples are kinda crappy (like less than $5 retail value) and the bags aren’t even worth giving to a friend or donating.
Is that too honest? Well, sorry not sorry (insert emoji with the girl with her hand bent to the side). I also should note that I wrote this post while this box was still in stock, but life happened and I couldn’t get it up…so use this as a reference for the October box, which’ll be coming out in a few days.
Anywhoo, this post is all about Target’s Fall 2018 Beauty Box. Target offers both seasonal and monthly beauty boxes. Both box types retail for $7 and each box includes seven items (and a coupon for $3 off a $15+ beauty product purchase at Target). (PRO TIP: If you have the Target credit card, you can get an addition 5% off this item). From a first glance, if you shop at Target and can make use of the coupon, it looks like you’re getting a pretty great deal. But, let’s actually put that theory to the test and in the wise words of Mulan, “let’s get down to business” and see what’s in the box.
NIVEA: Shea Daily Moisture Body Lotion
- Full-sized this item comes in a 33.8 oz bottle and retails for $9.99. The sample that’s included in the box is 2.5 fl oz, which gives it an estimated retail value of $0.74.
OLAY: Micropolishing Cleansing Infusion Facial Cleanser in Crushed Ginger & Citrus Extract
- Full-sized this item comes in a 5 fl oz tube and retails for $6.49. The sample that’s included in the box is 1 fl oz, which gives it an estimated retail value of $1.30.
OGX: Refresh & Restore Coconut Miracle Oil Dry Shampoo
- Full-sized this item comes in a 5 oz can and retails for $6.99. The sample that’s included in the box is a 1.75 oz canc, which gives it an estimated retail value of $2.45.
SCHMIDT’S: Charcoal and Magnesium Natural Deodorant
- Full-sized this item comes in a 2.65 oz stick and retails for $4.79. The sample that’s included in the box is a .7 oz stick, which gives it an estimated retail value of $1.27.
WELEDA: Wild Rose Creamy Body Wash
- Full-sized this item comes in a 6.8 fl oz tube and retails for $9.99. The sample that’s included in the box is a 1.7 fl oz tube, which gives it an estimated retail value of $2.50.
GARNIER: Skin Active Soothing Rose Water Facial Mist
- Full-sized this item comes in a 4.4 fl oz pump spray bottle and retails for $6.99. The sample that’s included in the box is .061 fl oz, which gives it an estimated retail value of $0.10. This is probably the lowest priced sample I’ve ever received in a beauty box…
L’OREAL: Voluminous Primer Base
- Full-sized this item comes in a .24 fl oz tube and retails for $5.19. The sample that’s included in the box is .05 fl oz, which gives it an estimated retail value of $1.08.
TOTAL VALUE: $9.44
Right off the bat, this isn’t an expensive subscription box. You get a little bit more in value than what you actually pay for. I paid $6.65+ tax (that’s with the Target 5% credit card discount), so with the $3 coupon, I’m up almost $6 ($9.44-$6.65+$3).
What I like best about this box is that other than the Garnier sample, all of the other items in the box are very nice travel samples. While I like the fact these samples are much more generous than Ipsy or Play! by Sephora items, they are usually at a lower price-point (but that’s a good thing if you like something, because it won’t be a sticker shock when you go to purchase it full-sized).
The Target Beauty Box also doesn’t include a bag like Ipsy and Sephora do, but I’d say I’m neutral on that, because for $3 less than an Ipsy subscription, I get two more products and a coupon I can use at Target (which is kind of like the Play! by Sephora beauty insider point card).
FINAL THOUGHTS: I’d definitely recommend this box if you have the opportunity to snag it! It has a nice mix of haircare, skincare, and beauty products that aren’t that expensive; full-sized, the most expensive item in this box is $10. The samples are generous travel-sized items that (other than the dry shampoo, probably), would work for both guys and girls. I like the price point, and when coupled with a coupon and a red card discount, is a pretty good deal!
(PRO TIP: These boxes usually sell out, so be sure to check it out earlier in the month if you’re interested in getting one!).
If you subscribe to monthly or seasonal Target beauty boxes, what’re your thoughts? Have you tried this bag? Let me know!
This Target beauty box was paid for by 2LWithIt; all thoughts, opinions, and photographs belong to 2LWithIt.
#beauty beauty Uncategorized #beauty #makeup beauty box beauty products garnier loreal nivea ogx olay pretty things schmidts skincare subscription box subscription review target target beauty box target haul weleda
Spoonie Adventures in Books, Beauty, & Bullshit
I'm a twenty-something year old recent law and business school grad living with a chronic health condition. Follow along on my shenanigans.